Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Here's TROUBLE

Last month (Aug), The Artistic Director of Theatre School said, "I need to talk to you about a possible role for Teague." She then told me that the Utah Opera Company was looking for a 5 year old boy with blonde hair to play the role of Trouble in Madame Butterfly. I thought, "Yeah, that would be Teague, 'trouble'." So, I got the number and called.

The lady ask if he could come and and meet her for a 'cattle call.' I took him in and he was fabulous, he was so social, not shy at all and talked to everyone. They showed him the rehearsal hall, the pictures of Madame Butterfly and the costumes, they were just the right size. We were there for about 1/2 hour, she said that she wanted him to come back and meet the director on Sept. 30....today!

He needed to be there at 4:00, we got there at about 3:50, there was one other little boy there. They came out and got both boys and told the moms that we could come in - I was a little unsure about this, because I thought he would do better if I wasn't there - so I went in and sat in the back. Teague amazed me! The director talked to him, this was their conversation;

Director: What's your name?
Teague: Teague. it's spelled T-E-A-G-U-E.
Director: Okay. Do you guys know what show we are doing?
Teague: I know
Director: oh yeah? What?
Teague: Madame Butterfly.
Director: You're right. Do you sing?
Teague: Yeah.
Director: What kind of songs do you sing?
Teague: I sing the Indiana Jones song! Then he proceed with the tune of Indiana Jones...da da da da......da da da......da da da da......da da da........

Then the director moved on to the next boy. At this point I whispered to one of the ladies that I was going to take off and I would be back to get him at 5:00.

I got back at 5, he was hangin' with the assistant director, talking to her like she was his best friend and had known her forever. They told me that he did a really good job and that they wanted to use him! I couldn't believe it! My heart started pounding with pride. My little turd is going to be doing a show with the Utah Opera Company!! Unfortunately all of his performances will be while Aaron and I are in China. When I told them that we were going to be in China, they said that they would make sure we could see him in one of the final dress rehearsals that happen before we leave. And, so many thanks to my mom who will be in charge of the whole situation while we are gone.

I will post information on the sidebar soon. I will also be adding the Captain Bree Encore information as well. Captain Bree is the show that Piper will be doing at Kingsbury Hall in November.

9 comments:

UtahJenny said...

Sooooooo cool! How fun for your kids to get involved so young - tell Teague congrats! And have fun in China - I didn't realize you were going to - very nice.

Tiffany said...

Very impressive! Congrats. Why are you going to China? You need to do a post about that visit!?

Christa said...

very cool, I bet you are so proud of him! And China...wow.

Oh I got a website up on etsy, I'm still adding stuff but it should all be up in th next couple of weeks.
bleusbeaus.etsy.com

Valerie said...

Congrats to Teague! I can't wait to see him in Madame Butterfly singing... da da. da...da da da... da da.da... da da da da da Indaiana Jones song. And the last I asked, you were not going to be able to join Aaron in China. Glad that has changed and you get to go.

Queen Mother said...

WOW! You have some super talented kiddos. congrats, Teague!!

Ireland Family said...

Congratulations, Teague! What a great opportunity!

Anonymous said...

HI KARLYN---WHAT A FUN THING FOR YOUR KIDS AND YOU TO BE INVOLVED IN! "TROUBLE" SOUNDS LIKE THE PERFECT ROLE FOR A CUTE, ENERGETIC LITTLE BOY--HAVE FUN IN CHINA--WHAT A FABULOUS OPPORTUNITY. I GOT EXCITED ABOUT SEEING CHINA AFTER WATCHING THE COVERAGE OF THE OLYMPICS. IT JUST SEEMS LIKE A FASCINATING PLACE!

Camille said...

I came across your blog trying to fnd out who the little boy who played Trouble in "Madame Butterfly" is. He was amazing! You should be so proud :-) He really stole the show.

Amber said...

Hi! I just saw Madame Butterfly on Sunday the 25th and my friends and we were wondering who the gorgeous little boy was! My friend somehow stumbled upon your blog and I thought I would comment on how much your son added to the story. The Opera was by far the most outstanding performance I had ever seen, and I was so impressed by how well your son remembered all his parts! Excellent Job!!